Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 95 23:24:47 -0400
From:      Cristian Ferretti <cfs@numero1.mat.puc.cl>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: port of Mesa-1.2.2 in FreeBSD.cdrom.com:/pub/incoming

> By the way, are you aware that there is a port already in place?
> (Although it's not working very well...in particular, it doesn't
> install.)  If you haven't, please take a look, it's and old version
> and all but may have some hints that are long lost.

I noticed it after i got Mesa-1.2.2 working and just before i begun
the port work. I take a look at it, in fact i used the Makefile as
starting point. I have to admit i did'nt make it.

>  * It's now in FreeBSD.cdrom.com:/pub/incoming.
>  * (should be opened under /usr/ports/graphics)
>  * There are three files, the port, the package, and the package description.!
>
> I can't read /pub/incoming, but found Mesa-1.2.2.port.tar.gz in
> /pub/FreeBSD/incoming (which is the correct directory to upload).

I was mistaken in my mail, it was pub/FreeBSD/incoming. Sorry :-).

> But ohmygod, this thing has a 168KB patch!  Can you take a look and
> delete the hunks that are not necessary?  I see things like "depend"
> and "depend.bak", both "Makefile" and "Makefile.in" from the same
> directory, "configure", "configure.in", "config.guess" and
> "config.sub" from the same directory and stuff.  I think you can
> delete all but the one that is actually used. :)

Yup. Its really a silly thing: I delete all that after the patch with
post-configure: having it in the patch is not very clever.

I didn't knew if i had to try to leave the resulting work directory as
something clean for someone else to figure (say, someone who wants to
know about the source of Mesa, or want to learn how to use Makefiles
etc). May be i must care about the thing compiling/running/installing
... and keeping it in a reasonable size :-). (?)

I'll try to get it smaller, and download it today.
(Probably in this week i will not have spare time to finish it, and I
WANT to finish it :-).

By the way, you answered my mail REALLY soon. :-).

-cristian

Cristian Ferretti S.                                  email: cfs@numero1.puc.cl