Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 00:51:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Adam W. Dace" <awd@stash.turing.com>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Have I been the lucky recipient of a 4.0-STABLE bug?

I've already figured out a workaround to this problem, but I couldn't find
a problem report in GNATS so I thought I'd speak up.

I'm guessing this is a problem in boot2, ugh...Sorry but I'm too tired to
guess exactly what this might be.  Here come the story:

I have a 586-based machine at home, which I recently(as it turns out in
hopes of solving this problem) reinstalled fresh with 4.0R off CD-ROM.
Everything was fine until I cvsup'ed to RELENG_4 a day or two ago.

Since then, upon trying to load /boot/loader I've gotten the following
message:
Disk Error 0x1
(lba=0x1011af)
Invalid format

For a while I just ignored this, and loaded /kernel as that appeared to
make the system boot happily.  This of course broke top and xosview.

Just for kicks I cvsup'ed my work(686-based, and has been upgraded via
cvsup since 3.4-RELEASE) machine in hopes of reproducing the problem a day
later and it's happy as a clam...bizarre.

After poking around in the mailing lists, taking a peek at source
and checking out the files in /boot, reading manpages, I realized I'd
lost the cute new BTX loader stage, and rebooted successfully with
/boot/loader.old which I believe represents the 4.0-RELEASE binary.

I'm going to take a break from cvsup'ing so much at home for a while, so
if anyone would like versions of sourcefiles which they suspect I'd be
happy to assist.

Thanks to all of you for your work with 4.0, besides this little glitch
everything has been working great.

Regards,

Adam W. Dace                   awd@turing.com
Turing.com, Ltd.        http://www.turing.com