Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 13:32:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sue Bauer-Lee <sblee@eeyore.taz.tac.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, sblee@eeyore.taz.tac.com (Sue Bauer-Lee)
Subject:   Re: bulding new versions

> > for the FreeBSD distribution? Can I not compile and install software of MY
> > choice? As indicated, I've run into problems using ports structure and
> > independantly of the ports structure.
>
> I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but the answer is, of
> course, "sure you can."

One would think. So far, most things I've tried to compile outside of the
ports structure finds missing libraries, header files, etc.... Example -
Briam has copies of pertinent info. Please don't be so quick to jump. He
answered first and has the most info - I didn't anticipate a while group -
but this is GOOD. :) The short of it - when tryting to compile the newer
version of XFCE OUTSIDE ports structure, it was unable to locate
	a) libsx.h because the 'package' expected it to be in one place when in
       fact it was a level deeper something like /usr/X11R6/include/X11/libsx
       as opposed to /usr/X11R6/include/X11.
    b) /usr/lib/libofrms.a - NOT xforms but forms, I beleive which is part
       of the ncurses devel 'package'. Since I had installed Linux compat
       stuff, I created a link so that the 'package' could find the library.
       Problem became unresolved references - possibly a non-existent
       header file.

> > went to install autoconf this way, it couldn't find m4. Recall in a previous
> > email (please forward that 1 also if you still have it) indicating our
> > secure env which won't allow outbound active ftp sessions.... Kinda blows
> > your 'autofind/fetch' out the window.....
>
> No it doesn't - please read the man page for fetch.  Setting
> FTP_PASSIVE_MODE (or FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS=-P) will use passive mode.

Recall though that the issue here is not 'fetch'. 'autoconf' should not
have even TRIED to retrieve a package that was already installed via the
same method, but thanks for the info. :)

> > Why are things apparently so restrictive??? I've had engineers productive
> > FASTER on Solaris x86 than what I've experienced here. How can we help make
> > this easier?
>
> It would help if you could clarify just what you found so restrictive.
> I don't see any real details here.
>
> 						Jordan

Sue