Date:      Sun, 25 Dec 1994 00:25:36 -0600
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.shutdown (First shot)

> However, I am not arguing _for_ Ollivier's changes, by any stretch of the
> imagination.  If you type "shutdown" without bothering to take down INN and
> make sure all's well, you darn well get what you deserve.

Hokay, I've got an Alpha based box at work that's running a hundred users
and bunches of commercial and local packages. In fact I've got two of them.
I don't *remember* all the stuff you have to do to shut them down right.

But, you say, you could just create a shutdown script and run that instead
of shutdown. Hrm... I'm sorry, I'd rather keep things simple.

> I'm not a fan of
> the SVR4-style 10-trillion-shell-script crud (Solaris is horrible), and I'd
> just as soon prefer to keep it simple.  ;-)  JMHO.

IMHO, SIGTERM plus ten seconds is far from simple. It's an obscure kludge and
the sort of thing that the Multics and TOPS and VMS fans are *right* to flame
about.

A single "shutdown" hook is far from the System V multiple run level model
(though that's *also* a Good Thing when you have hundreds of users and multiple
people with system administrator type duties).

Bravo Ollivier!