Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:55:34 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Star Office 5 on FreeBSD

Andrew McNaughton writes:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Arnout Boer wrote:
>
> > For some of my work and study related stuff I get lots
> > of attachments in Office 97.
> > Star Office 5 should handle that correctly!
> > So.. anybody experience with getting the beta to work on FreeBSD
> > hate to leave BSD to Linux just because of some software
> > issues.
>
> www.cdrom.com is advertising a soon to be released port of using
> Applixware to FreeBSD.  Does anyone have experience with Applixware on
> other platforms, or know anything about the port?

Nope. I backordered a copy sight unseen.

> I'm a bit wary of buying it too early in case of bugs, and it sounds
> pretty resource intensive, but the discussion on the redhat applix list
> seems like many people prefer it to Star Office.

Bugs, smugs. Didn't even ask about the upgrade policy. Didn't think I
needed to. If its bad broken, WC will make it right.

I did visit the RedHat site before back ordering my Applixware from WC.
Appears there is a "regular" and a "pro" version. The main difference is
the "pro" version does Microsoft formats. Or maybe its "more Microsoft
formats." Seems like $100 and $250 were the prices. Am offline and
quoting from memory a couple of months old.