Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 10:33:30 +0100
From:      Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newly introduced repeatable SMP hang in STABLE/3.3-RC

Jeremy> Isn't this *wedged* instead of *hung*?

I guess it depends on your terminology.  Wedged is probably more
accurate though.

Jeremy>  and what *exactly* is wedged/hung?

All user-land processes, though ICMP still works, you can still get
into DDB, hitting a key on the console correctly disables the screen
saver, and you can still switch between VTYs.

And to answer Mike Smith's message as well, this makes it sound like
it's not spltty.  I don't know enough about the interrupt internals
for FreeBSD, since most of my kernel hacking has been on other
platforms.  Is there any easy way to tell from a dump what the current
spl was.  From the code it looks like cpl is the right variable.  It's
set to all ones, which looks like splhigh or splclock.  But that could
be a result of being in DDB or a side effect of MPgetlock.

Anyone know how to trace where MPgetlock is called from and what the
other CPU is doing?
--
Alan