Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:58:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Behrens <matt@megaweapon.zigg.com>
To:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, imap-uw@freebsd.ady.ro, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: imap-uw security hole -- please update port

OK guys, here's what I've got. :)

I don't know what the problem is.  Apparently Terry Gray from UW knows,
I'll ask him.  I did find out from
<http://www.washington.edu/imap/server-security.html>; that the bug
affects the version we currently have in the port; i.e. anything before
July 12.

I don't think we need to change the structure of any of the ports.
pine should still install pine and imap-uw imap-uw.  I don't think the
tools would be needed, I never use them except imapd anyway.

Thanks a bunch.  You guys have been extremely helpful -- and fast! :)
I'll let you know what I find out.

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Adrian Penisoara wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Steve Price wrote:
>
> > Hey, I won't worry if Matt doesn't. :)  If we don't install
>
>  I'd still worry if Matty was happy and the sources were
> security-compromising... :)
>
> > the imap tools does that satisfy your requirements Matt or
> > are you expecting them to be installed as part of pine4?
>
>  Pine 3.96 & Pine 4.00 install only c-client library, pico (the Editor),
> Pilot (the file Browser) and Pine (the MUA); I believe this is what the
> average user expects -- if someone wants the mail daemons (ipop2d, ipop3d,
> imapd) then they will happily be served by the imap-uw port :)
>
> > If so, would a *_DEPENDS on the imap-uw port work?  Of
> > course its build/install would have to be conditionalized
> > appropriately first of course.
>
>  That wouldn't be necessary (if the POP/IMAP dameons build was expected)
> -- Pine 4.00 source tarball comes with the sources for these dameons
> already, *_DEPENDS should be used only to force using imap-uw's sources
> instead what the pine port has; but I do repeat: the user
> doesn't/shouldn't expect the port to install anything else but what they
> come for and that's the Pine binaries; if they want the mail daemons they
> should go for imap-uw...
>
>  What's your opinion, Matt ?
>

> > Just out of curiousity why isn't the imap-uw port afflicted
> > by the same security problems mentioned on BUGTRAQ?
>
>  I believe this is because only the newly released Pine 4.00 source
> tarball has the latest sources wich have that security bug -- but this is
> just a supposition, it must be verified !
>
>  And about that, could you dig up a bit more and tell me what exactly is
> this security compromise about or where can I find more about it, Matt ?
> Thanks !
>

> > Steve
> >
> > On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
> >

>   Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)

Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
Founder and Chief Engineer, The OverNet Network
I eat Penguins for breakfast.