Date:      14 Dec 2000 12:36:27 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: retiring kernfs

"David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org> writes:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 05:02:41PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > Any serious objections to retiring the (long obsolete) kernfs
> > pseudo-file system?
> Can you give a reason for your wanting to remove something that compiles
> and works?

It's superfluous (all the information it provides is available through
sysctl(8)), deprecated (sources with better memory than me tell me
that it's been recommended against since 2.1.0), and a potential
security hole as it hasn't been maintained since 1996 (except for
being kept compilable across kernel API changes), and I can
practically guarantee (without inspecting the source code) that it
does Very Wrong Things with e.g. prisons. Oh, and nobody uses it.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org