Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:52:24 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: who's been smoking crack in freebsd land now ?

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 12:08:57AM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:
> In some mail from Brian T.Schellenberger, sie said:
> >

> > Geez, calm down.  You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
> >
> > Also, isn't the warning pretty self-explanatory?
>
> No, it isn't.
>
> > "man ioctl" shows that sys/ioctl.h is expected to be used in userland.
>
> Yes.
>
> Last I checked, <sys/*.h> is also expected to be used by the kernel.
>
> Nearly all of <sys/*.h> is expected to be included in userland programs
> as well as the kernel.  Or is FreeBSD going to have a completely different
> /usr/include/sys for user programs and the kernel just in case there is
> anybody out there that cares about portability that FreeBSD hasn't fucked
> over yet ?

sys/ioctl.h has had that warning since 1997/03/24.  I'm not really sure
why you are whining about something that changed FIVE YEARS AGO.

> > And, unlike userland, it's not like the kernel has any obligation to be the
> > same across Unices, so I'm wondering on what you base the supposition that
> > God decreed the One True And Correct Way for this to work?
>
> No, you just piss people off when they have to deal with rather arbitrary
> fucking changes.  It's not like the first time I've had to deal with crap
> like this in FreeBSD so I may as well get used to it, I guess.

See above.  Btw, the profanity doesn't help you win this argument.

> In case you have trouble working that out:
> it works everywhere else and used to work on FreeBSD, without any warnings
> until someone changed it.  Well, maybe except Linux, but then Linux distros
> suffer badly from brain damaged include files because there's no coherancy
> between the kernel includes and user includes.  I'm sure that's not the
> desired result for FreeBSD....or is it ?

See above.  FIVE YEARS AGO.

> You should be able to compile a LKM without any compile errors, shouldn't
> you ?  You know, an LKM that gets compiled without config'ing a kernel ?
> Heck, you shouldn't even need kernel source installed to compile & use an
> LKM.  I mean isn't that the point of LKM's or has that been forgotten too ?

Not necessarily.  /sys/vm is needed if you want to use memory zones, just to
give one example.  I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Scott