Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 19:08:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, grog@lemis.com, peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StrongARM and history

>>> Your prejudice against Compaq seems ill-founded.  They didn't buy up
>>> Tandem and DEC just to kill their operations.  I do a lot of work for
>>> Tandem, and I'm very impressed about how Compaq have focussed the UNIX
>>> operation and got it moving ahead.  To turn the question around, why
>>> would Compaq not fund such a thing now that they have the keys?
>>
>> I didn't mean this pejoratively with respect to compaq. But the
>> obvious answer to your question "why would Compaq not...?" is:
>> because the NC's raison d'etre was to undercut PC sales; it was
>> developed _entirely_ to provide an alternative to buying high-end
>> megacorp PC's. And it was being...given...away.
>
>I didn't know they were giving it away.
>
>Compaq seem pretty smart people, and all evidence to the contrary, I
>think that they are not overly interested in being in bed with
>Microsoft.  They build hardware.  The NC is hardware.  Why shouldn't
>they be interested?  They don't have to be the ones who give it away.

Your statements are correct, as far as they go. But I think what
you are missing is:  [1] the NC is _cheap_ hardware, the high-end
PC's are (or were, at the time the NC project began) a lot more
expensive. And [2], note what "DNARD" stands for: "Digital Network
Appliance Reference Design".  "Reference Design" as in: given away,
with schematics, dimensions, free cool NetBSD software (with some
FreeBSD stuff, too), and active solicitation for _anyone_ to make
them. Even if it was exactly a PC there are obvious reasons why
Compaq _might_ have prefered not to be doing that. I'm not sure how
big a discussion this is worth, though, since [1] I'm just speculating,
and [2] we are kind of beating this compaq vs NC point to death.