Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 17:14:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remote ip

> Where can I read more about the reasoning to use kernel space ppp
> except for "doing what I got used to do" or "I don't care, both
> suffice and one of them is smaller"?

Most people use whats easier for them/what they are used to.

Besides corner cases (which are subject to heavy flamewars and none at
all clearly marked) there probably is no technical reason pro or cons
any of these.

I myself use in-kernel ppp because (1) I used to run a router with only
4 MB RAM, and spawing ppp on dial-in caused a significant delay vs. the
in-kernel solution and (2) my provider charges heavily for the second
channel (the only thing missing from the in-kernel stuff from my POV).

For NetBSD there are other reasons, because the in-kernel version has
diverged quite a bit (IPv6, ALTQ, ...) but no real world user will notice
if not explicitly looking for differences. (Note that I know ~ nothing
about state of affairs in FreeBSD-current nor have looked at userland ppp
in detail during the last half year).

Martin