Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2013 17:52:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Gary Aitken <ah@dreamchaser.org>
Subject:   Re: initialize msdosfs on memory stick?

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013, Gary Aitken wrote:

> I can't seem to find how to do this in the handbook or man pages.
> I need to initialize a usb memory stick with an msdos file system.
> Is it possible, or do I have to find a windoze system?

Sure, it's possible.  For maximum compatibility, I'd suggest creating an
MBR layout on it.  Some devices expect that.  Assuming it is da0 (make
sure) and that everything on it has been backed up...

# gpart destroy -F da0
# gpart create -s mbr da0
# gpart add -t \!12 da0
# newfs_msdos -F32 /dev/da0s1