Date:      Tue, 18 May 2004 19:31:59 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>, Nikita@Namesys.COM
Cc:        lioux@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: QMail and SoftUpdates

=On Tue, 18 May 2004, Don Lewis wrote:
=
=> On 18 May, Julian Elischer wrote:
=> >
=[...]
=
=> >
=> > An fsync will sync ALL directory entries pointing to the file
=>
=> I haven't looked at how qmail works, but my suspicion is that it
=> fsync()s the file and then creates a link (and probably unlinks
=> the old name) to mark the queue file as valid and is not partially
=> written. I think this would work with softupdates if the file were
=> fsync()ed again after the link() call. I won't comment about why this
=> change is unlikely to make it into the code.
=
=a single fsync AFTER the link but before acking the mail would be
=sufficient.

Should the mail/qmail port do that?

	-mi