Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 00:01:00 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: PATCH: if_de.c #ifdef based version encoding

On Tuesday, 27th January 1998, Matt Thomas wrote:

[ Regarding version conditionals in if_de.c ]
>>Making Matt's life difficult would be counterproductive, but these version
>>tests are pretty silly from an ivory tower purist view, and are also a pain
>>in practice.  I'm with Terry on this one.
>
>If there is such a symbol on 2.1.0 or later I'll use it.

In the FreeBSD CVS tree, if_de.c is very different in 2.1.x, 2.2.x and 3.0.
Discussions so far imply that you (Matt) intend that your version of if_de.c
should run on all FreeBSD releases.  In practice, the code is tweaked for
changing local conditions (ie local to a branch), including mods for stuff
like devconf (deceased) and XNS.

In fact, all the conditionals that are bothering Terry (and me) are found
only in the 3.0 branch and date from rev 1.65 on 1997/06/22.  I don't know
if you've ever seen these changes; they have not appeared in the more
recent snapshots of your if_de.c that have been merged into the FreeBSD one.

So, I don't think it is a matter of supplying you with a symbol to examine.
The real question is whether or not all FreeBSD branches should be (nearly)
identical (and therefore #ifdef festooned), or whether they should be quite
different, but cleaner.

Since we've "done it to ourselves", can't we just zap the backward
compatibility stuff in the 3.0 branch?

Stephen.

PS It's quite educational to grovel round in the CVS logs diffing things!