Date:      18 Nov 2000 09:22:47 -0600
From:      Michael Harnois <mdharnois@home.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Valentin Chopov <valentin@valcho.net>, Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>, Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, "Steven E. Ames" <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT is freezing again ...

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:30:02 -0800 (PST), John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG> said:

    > what the WITNESS code does is perform extra checks on mutex
    > enter's and exit's to ensure that we aren't handling mutexes in
    > such a way that a deadlock is possible. Thus, it verifies that
    > you don't grab mutexes out of order, or that you don't grab
    > sleep mutexes with interrupts disabled, etc.

Is this code meaningful on UP machines? Having been a victim of these
seemingly random freezes since SMPng started, as others have noted, I
decided to compile it in earlier this week. Twice now I've been dumped
into the debugger with this output:

lock order reversal
1st dc0 last acquired @ ../../pci/if_dc.c:2717
2nd 0xc0acdb3c dc1 @ ../../pci/if_dc.c: 2717
3rd 0xc0acab3c dc0 @ ../../pci/if_dc.c: 2929

Debugger ("witness_enter")
Stopped at Debugger+0x39: movb $0, in.Debugger.639

--
Michael D. Harnois, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Washburn, IA
mdharnois@home.com                      aa0bt@aa0bt.ampr.org