Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 17:28:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Charles N. Owens" <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        questions list FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   CDRom w/NFS access (?) crashes system

Howdy,
I have yet another problem. :-)  Sorry to dump on this list, but I'm
trying to pull off quite a bit with our beloved OS...

Anyway, one of my systems looks like this:
	P/90 CPU, 32 megs RAM.  2.0.5-RELEASE FBSD
	NCR 83c825 SCSI PCI controller
	COMPEX ENET-32 PCI ethernet (DEC chipset)
	ISA SVGA card (ATI, yuck, soon to replace)
	1 gig Conner SCSI-2 drive
	NEC 4x SCSI CDROM drive
	SoundBlaster 16 (adaptec SCSI controller set to IRQ 9 - not used)

Ok... I was running Xwindows and had lots of xterms open and telnet sessions
to various places.  "Top" claimed that swap was around 12%.

Both the hard drive and the CDROM are on the NCR controller.  Periodicly,
espcially (it seems) when I use the cdrom, I see these messages:

/kernel: ncr0 targ 6?: ERROR (81:40) (8-28-0) (8/13) @ (1008:0).
/kernel:        reg: da 10 c0 13 47 8 6 f 1 8 6 28 80 0 8 0.
/kernel: ncr0: restart (fatal error).
/kernel: sd0(ncr0:6:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 ff) @f09a3e00.
/kernel: sd0(ncr0:6:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 ff) @f08b5400.
/kernel: cd0(ncr0:2:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 ff) @f08b5a00.
/kernel: ncr0: timeout ccb=f08b5a00 (skip)
/kernel: ncr0: reset by timeout.
/kernel: sd0(ncr0:6:0): FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10 Mb/sec) offset 8.
/kernel: sd0(ncr0:6:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,0
sd0(ncr0:6:0):  Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred field
	replaceable unit: 14
/kernel: , retries:3

This didn't make me too happy, but everything seemed to work OK, mostly.

Today, I was running Xwindows and had lots of xterms open and telnet
sessions to various places.  "Top" claimed that swap was around 12%.
I mounted a cd and exported the mountpoint via NFS.

Several other systems NFS-mounted the cdrom and started chewing away at it.
(DOS-boxes installing windows off of the CDROM, actually :-).
All seemed well.  I even noted, impressed, that top showed that the
nfsiod processes where using virtually NO cpu time!

And then, with no warning, my machine resets!  No panic messages or anything.
Just a blank screen with warm fuzzy BIOS messages appearing.  :-(

Anyhow, I feel quite sure that not everything is as it should be and was
wondering if any of you brave chaps had anything to say about my tale.

thanks,
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X