Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 13:00:59 -0600
From:      Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rexec as root

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Nick Sayer wrote:

> I would like to gather some opinions in regards to _very slightly_
> backing off
> on rexec's security.
>
> rexec makes the following checks, and refuses to allow usage if any are
> true:
>
> 	uid == 0

I turned off this check at sarnoff six years ago. rexec allows you to
quickly run lots of commands across a cluster, given the right tool (see
http:/www.acl.lanl.gov/~rminnich and look at vex). Using rexec I could run
commands across a 128-node cluster in less than a second. Nothing I have
ever seen is nearly as fast.

A secure low-overhead remote exec is the right thing; rexec with uid == 0
disabled is the next-best thing.

ron