Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:24:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wouter Van Hemel <wvhemel@vub.ac.be>
To:        Ido Kanner <kanerido@netvision.net.il>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About the OS [OT]

On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Ido Kanner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm tring to learn the FreeBSD OS.
>
> i have few question about the OS that i did not find answers to anywhere else.

You might want to ask those questions to 'questions' instead of 'doc',
that list's purpose matches your questions more.

> First of all i'm new to all Unix, Linux and Unix like OSes...

Please, read some newbie-documentation and the handbook, you can find
links on the FreeBSD project's homepage, http://www.freebsd.org/.

> 1. What are the executibles of the OS
>  I.e. The Scripts files, the .EXE likes etc...

Extensions are not often used in the unix world. To know when a file is
executable, issue a 'ls -l <filename>', there you can see the permissions,
which looks like:

  -rw-------  1 wouter  wouter    64417 Aug 31 22:42 chapter7.txt
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 wouter  wouter        0 Sep 22 14:52 myscript
( _---___---    ------  ------    -----              ------------ )
( 1 2  3  4       5       6         7                     8       )

1) if there's a 'd' in this column, it's a directory.
2) permissions for the owner of the file (which is in col 5)
3) permissions for the group in which the owner resides (col 6)
4) permissions for all others
5) owner of file
6) group of owner of file
7) file size
8) filename

Permissions:
  'r' |            | 'readable'   |
  'w' | means it's | 'writeable'  | for that person
  'x' |            | 'executable' |

... whereas '-' means it's not, obviously.

So - and I try to keep it simple :) - if there's an 'x' in the 3
characters at position (2), you can execute the file.

Aternatively, you can use the command 'file' to ask the type of the file
you are inquiring:

[ice:~] file /bin/ls
        ------------ =--> that's what you type, if you want to check 'ls'
and you get:

  /bin/ls: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
  statically linked, stripped

... which means it's a binary executable (like a .exe in dos).

If it's a script:
  [ice:~] file /etc/rc.network6
  /etc/rc.network6: Bourne shell script text executable

... so this is a shell script for a Bourne-kind of shell, sh or bash being
the most known.

> 2. How can I search in Man in general for a command that I do not know
> it's name but I know what it needs to do ?

You might give 'apropos' a try:
[ice:~] apropos copy
cp(1)                    - copy files
cpio(1)                  - copy files to and from archives
dd(1)                    - convert and copy a file

... but in general, this doesn't always work, depending on your choice of
words. Perhaps it's easier to read a tutorial or howto that describes the
action you are trying to do, or to read a book about unix.

I recommend (again) the handbook.

> 3. How can I find drivers for my hardware like: Software-Modem, Zip
> Drive and more ?

You can load modules that give you the functionality to work with that
device. Read (yes again) the handbook.

> 4. How can I add a locolized language to it (my langauge is Hebrew) ?

You can set your locale, which is explained in - indeed - the handbook :)

> 5. Can I use Linux or Unix program in FreeBSD, if so, then how ?

- If it's a program compiled for freebsd (your version), just run it.
- If it's a linux program, and you loaded the linux binary compatability
  module (handbook, chapter 20), just run it.
- If it's source code (this is often the case), compile it.

> Regars
>
> Ido Kanner

Good luck... :)

.
. . . .  w o u t e r
.
o// O\ |             w o u t e r   v a n   h e m e l             | <\o/\
P  `|  |_  .  h t t p : / / w w w . i n s o m n i a . c x /  .  _|   O
.  l a   v i e   e n   m o u v e m e n t  |`\ >> \\ <<  . . . . . . . . .