Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 1997 19:20:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote gdb (was: no boot: config -g and options DDB)

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Bruce Evans wrote:
> >      Remote debugging using /dev/cuaa0
> >      Ignoring packet error, continuing...
> >      Couldn't establish connection to remote target
> >      Malformed response to offset query, timeout

 make sure you have flags 0x10 in the config line for sio0 or it will not
work. This is a new requirement I only just started needing

> Possibly a speed mismatch.  16550s may be required on the debugged machine.
> It may work better to do step 3) before 4).

The order is not that important..  I do it here on my 16450 based machine.
starting the gdb a few seconds before entering the debugger gives best
results but it works most of the time either way.

> >So what gives?  Do I have my serial config wrong?  I've done
> >everything according to the book, and there is no indication, neither
> >in the documentation nor in the sources, about how to set up the bit
> >rate, character size and such.  I assume somebody has got this to
> >work, but I can't work out how.
>
> Speed setting is fully doc^H^H^Hcoded in the sources.  It may work better
> to use a serial console or boot with -D.  The speed will then be set by
> the boot blocks, and the kernel will use the same speed (if it agrees
> with the boot blocks about the port), and the h/w speed will be initialized
> (-current neglects to initialize when the speed registers wouldn't change,
> but this may leave the h/w behind the registers uninitialized after reset).

this tends to introduce another place that things can get it wrong..
I've seen the 'auto speed detection' get really screwy results on some
hardware.