Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:06:36 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O problem in 4.3-BETA

* Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net> [010312 13:46] wrote:
> Soren,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply! And right on the button, too.
>
> I have turned the write cache back on (any relevance to "write cache"
> being abbreviated to "WC"? :-) and the time to dd the slices went back
> to 10 and 5 minutes (actually 489 and 287 seconds).
>
> How serious is the possible corruption issue, anyway. The loss in
> performance is pretty drastic although it may be that dd is an
> especially bad case, but I really don't like to corrupt my disks,
> either.

If basically running with blind write caching turned on is akin to
running your filesystem in async mode.  This is because write
caching gives the drive license to lie about completing a write,
the various ordering of writes are effectively bypassed.  If you
crash without these dependancies actually written to the disk, when
you come back up you have a good chance of losing large portions
of your filesystem.

Daemon News Magazine in your snail-mail! http://magazine.daemonnews.org/