Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 1995 19:16:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      evan@probita.com (Evan Polster)
To:        questions@freebsd.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Boot error: changing root device to sda1

Mike,

(message history thread concatenated to end of this reply)

Thanks for your reply!

I tried what you suggested and it worked ... sort of.

Situation:

I removed the power cord from scsi disk one and booted up
and the bootmgr successfully saw both disks: IDE and
(normally the second) scsi disk.

So I plugged scsi disk 1 back in (power cord) , rebooted the
machine and noticed that the bootmgr only displayed one function
choice again (F1: dos). Just for grins I decided to choose F5 and
the bootmgr showed me the second disk boot option (F1: freebsd).

So I decided to swap the scsi disk's device ids (so scsi disk 1 became
scsi disk 2 and vice versa) and reinstalled FreeBSD.

Now the bootmgr stills displays only one option (F1: dos) but I
can still access FreeBSD by choosing F5.

However, when freeBSD boots it gets to the point where
it attempts to mount root and it says:

	.
	.
	changing root device to sd1a
        PANIC: Unable to  mount root.
	.
	.

Well of course it can't mount root from sd1a as I did not
install any mount points to that partition.

What I did when installing:

I went into the partition editor and picked sd0. I used the entire disk
and set it bootable.

I did nothing else with either the IDE disk or scsi disk 2 via the
partition editor.

I went to the partition label tool next and noticed that it
only displayed my sd0 as available to label (which made sense
to me since the other two disks I didn't identify as available).

I divided the disk:

	/ ....... 80M
	(swap) .. 80M
	/usr .... 652M

Then I installed (committed) selecting the bootmgr (booteasy) option.

Question:

  Why did the system want to use sd1a when I didn't create any
partitions on that disk (scsi disk 2), or label?

  Do I have to somehow associate DOS as the owner of the other
partitions on IDE disk and scsi disk 2, before I install?

TIA

Evan Polster

>   Problem:
>
> 	My bootmgr only gives me one choice for OS's: DOS.
>
> 	I think the screen looks like:
>
> 		F1 dos
>
> 		    F?

>   My current configuration:
>
>        IDE Disk 1:   primary DOS (bootable).
> 	 SCSI Disk 2:  extended DOS partition.
> 	 SCSI Disk 3:  freeBSD partition (bootable).
>

>   What I did:
>
> 	When installing I created a freebsd partition out
> 	of the entire disk 3.
>
> 	After commiting I choose the Bootmgr option.
>

>   Question: Is there a simple way for me to tell the bootmgr
> 	    about this second bootable drive?
>

>  TIA,
>
>  Evan Polster
>  Probita Inc.
>  evan@probita.com
>

>From msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au Wed Jul 19 22:11:22 1995

Evan Polster stands accused of saying:
> 	My bootmgr only gives me one choice for OS's: DOS.
>
> 	I think the screen looks like:
>
> 		F1 dos
>
> 		    F?
>
>   My current configuration:
>
>        IDE Disk 1:   primary DOS (bootable).
> 	 SCSI Disk 2:  extended DOS partition.
> 	 SCSI Disk 3:  freeBSD partition (bootable).

My guess is that your BIOS only supports two harddisks, so you're not
going to be able to boot off the third disk.  Swap disks 2 & 3 and see if DOS
still sees the DOS SCSI disk.

>   Question: Is there a simple way for me to tell the bootmgr
> 	    about this second bootable drive?

The bootmanager asks the BIOS, AFAIK.