Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:59:36 +0000
From:      Keith Jones <keithj@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of Disklabel (was: Re: Dangerously Dedicated)

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 10:23:46AM -0700, Nate Williams wrote:
> > [thread snipped]
>
> That's not good enough.  The PC architecture limits us to 4-total
> partitions, which isn't good enough.  It's not even good enough for M$,
> so they invented 'extended partitions, which is a M$-only feature.

<aol>Me too!</aol>

I'm very fond of the fact that I can have five or six slices in a single
PC-style partition. I've hit that limit a couple of times, with the result
that my home machine has often had two BSD partitions on the same disk,
each containing a number of disk slices. (Support for DOS extended
partitions would mitigate this, and although it _is_  a M$ invention AFAIK,
such support would probably be a Good Thing as far as the general populace
is concerned.)

I'd also think very carefully about changing the disk slice nomenclature
from da0s1a/ad0s1a etc. to something new - I can still remember the last
time it changed and I spent a number of hours tearing my hair out getting
my machines to boot after the upgrade.

Keith
--
Keith Jones
E-Business Service Introduction, GBIT-E (Bristol)

I don't speak for Hewlett-Packard.