Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 23:03:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      StevenR362@aol.com
To:        root@totum.plaut.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS P/I-P55TP4N BIOS-Password lost...

In a message dated 97-06-03 19:31:46 EDT, root@totum.plaut.de (Michael
Reifenberger) writes:

> Hi,
>  after deleting the User-password of a P/I-P55TP4N MB in the BIOS
>  and forgetting the existing Superuser-Password I have a problem.
>  No passwords->no boot->no BSD :-(
>
>  The Handbook states to shorten jumper 13 for a while but I tried this
>  with no success. Somewhere else it states that one should send the Board
> the
>  reseller but he is not available anymore...
>
>  Is there a chance to set the NVRAM to the Factory-default = no passwords?
>
>  The Board is a:
>  Mainboard P/I-P55TP4N
>  Award Modular BIOS v.4.50PG (#401A0-0155) (ROM PCI/ISA BIOS (PI-5XTP4))
>   (S/N: 034336222)
>
>  The NVRAM is a DALLAS chip.
>
>  Thanks.
  I don't know about an Award BIOS but most of the AMI BIOS's would reset
to factory default if you continuously hold down the insert key while
powering
the computer up.  You might want to spend some time holding various keys
down while powering up.  It should take you less than 101 tries ;)
Unless of course it's a multi key combination.  Then you're SOL.

STeve