Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 13:29:23 -0500
From:      gstevens@forsythemca.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble mounting CD-ROM

I'm unable to successfully mount a CD-ROM (actually the BSD distribution,
disk 1, as MS-DOS) under BSD.

1) Boot sequence seems to have no trouble detecting the drive, its
characteristics, and status.

2) Per the Handbook I ran

     # sh MAKEDEV wcd0

after installing BSD.   This caused files rwcd0a and rwcd0c to show up in
/dev.  wcd0a and wcd0c were already there.

3) I executed the mount command as follows:

     # mount -r -t   msdos   /dev/wcd0a   /cdrom

4) The following error message resulted:

     atapi0.1: invalid data direction
     wcd0: I/O error, status=51<ready,opdone,check>,error=0

After this even the manual tray ejection button is disabled - I have to
power off/power on the computer to get it to work again.

This is happening on two separate machines, an IBM Aptiva and an IBM
ThinkPad.  I don't know positively but I am assuming both CD drives are IDE
based (machines are 166MZ and 133MZ Pentiums, respectively).  At any rate,
the kernel is successfully detecting the drive(s) as previously mentioned.

I'll appreciate any advice I receive to resolve this.

Regards,

Greg Stevens