Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 09:49:22 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Invis <invis@visi.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How much work does running -current take?

On Fri, Oct 03, 1997 at 11:40:48PM +0930, Mike Smith wrote:

> > 1. If I install -current, will I have to do 'make worlds' or other 6 hour CPU
> > 	   tasks often?
>
> You won't have to.  You may want to.
>
> > 2. Will my system more often than not be able to boot and run most of the time?
> >    i.e. I have one computer, I don't mind constant reboots, even making my own
> >    code patches if necessary, but if this is something it's almost necessary
> >    to have two machines for, please tell me!
>
> It can be helpful to have two systems, but things are generally better
> now than they were in terms of re-bootstrapping yourself.
>
> > 	3. Where can I get a list of new features available in 3.0-current ??
>
> The CVS commitlogs are the most verbose resource.
>
> mike

There are times when -current is EXTREMELY unstable.

My hints and tricks include:

1)	If you have two machines, its a REALLY good idea to keep one of
	them in usable condition at all times until you've completed testing
	on new stuff.

2)	Any time the kernel changes drastically enough that libkvm and
	friends (ie: ps, etc) needs to be rebuilt you can get screwed.  Use
	extra caution at those times.  Those are the times when its most
	dangerous, because you might not be easily able to back out a bad
	change.

3)	Learn how to check out and/or update your local copy with the "-D"
	switch to cvs (ie: cvs update -D "yesterday" .).  This can save your
	bacon if you ARE rebuilding all the time and one day it breaks when
	you knew it was ok yesterday.

4)	If you are making local changes to the sources (we do here) be
	extremely cautious in exactly how you go about things.  You must
	learn how CVS actually does stuff so you don't accidentially lose
	your local changes.  ALWAYS, ALWAYS keep a local context diff of
	your changes against a known base version SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | NEW! K56Flex modem support is now available
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| 56kbps DIGITAL ISDN DOV on analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal