Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:07:36 -0500
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with dhclient

I'm running FreeBSD on a laptop computer, and in general I'm pretty
ignorant about networking issues. I'm having some difficulty using
the dhclient program and was hoping someone could give me a hand.

After booting, if I'm plugged into a network with a DHCP server on it,
I can run dhclient and get assigned everything I need and be
connected. However, if I move the computer from one DHCP network to
another without shutting it down, I cannot seem to get new networking
information. If I don't touch anything, the previous settings stay in
place (whether I had previously been using dhclient, or had manually
configured for a static network); when I try to run dhclient I get the
message "ifconfig: icotl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists" (and no other
ouput), and running "ifconfig" shows no inet configuration, though I
do get a "status: active" line under fxp0 (my Ethernet card). Bringing
fxp0 down and up has no effect.

I've run through a number of experiments, and all I can say is that
rebooting the machine _always_ allows me to successfully configure
using dhclient. I've looked through the various man pages for
dhclient and its related scripts and conf files, and looked online
for advice, and haven't seen anything useful.

Any ideas? It's something of a pain to have to reboot the computer
every time I move it.

Thanks,

Jesse Sheidlower
<jester@panix.com>