Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:08:35 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
To:        Andrey Alekseyev <uitm@zenon.net>
Cc:        Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: minor annoyances

The new tar does not ignore the -T.  I tried your example and saw
the files in t.lst appear twice in t.tgz, once from the -T and
again as ./<filename> from the dot.  The new behavior is arguably
correct.

I wish there could always be a way to satisfy POLA, portability
and correctness simultaneously.  Alas, sometimes life is not that
kind.  How many years did the error of treating an all-zeroes host
part of an IP address as broadcast persist?  Various stacks had a
setting to accomodate that error for over a decade, and may still.

--
Barney Wolff
I'm available by contract or FT:  http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf