Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 12:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/27303: Error during Commit: Unable to make device node for /dev/X in /dev!

The following reply was made to PR misc/27303; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Dahlqvist?= <anedah-9@sm.luth.se>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 21:27:41 +0200

 On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 09:11:37PM +0200, André Dahlqvist wrote:
 > Guilty as charged. All my primary partions are taken with Linux partitions,

 :-) Does happen sometimes:-)

 > so an extended partition was all I had. Shouldn't FreeBSD warn you about this
 > though? At least if you set this partition bootable...

 Yes, I think warning would be reasonable (btw is this limitation anywhere
 in the docs at all? I could not find it with a quick glance anywhere and
 the fact that "it is common knowledge on the mailing lists" certainly does
 not qualify as "documented"...)

 > Thanks for your quick help!

 You're welcome! I hope you will be able to start using FreeBSD soon and will
 have a favourable experience!

 > > - Also you should be aware that your root (/) parition should go before the
 > >   1024th cylinder on your hdd or you may have problems booting. But that
 > >   comes later:-)
 >
 > I was planning on using LILO to boot FreeBSD too, like I boot linux.

 OK, that will work.
 --
 Regards:

 Szilveszter ADAM