Date:      Mon, 05 Nov 2001 17:34:35 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   timetabling software

I hope this request isn't too far off-topic, but if anybody can point me
toward a more appropriate resource I'd appreciate it.

I'm currently working for a private school in Thailand, in a low-funded
program aimed at preparing Thai students to enter universities, primarily
in North America but also possibly in Australia, New Zealand, or the UK. We
are growing slowly, and have now reached a point where scheduling classes
is a burden. I'm sure there must be programs out there which are used in
other educational institutions which have far more difficult time-tabling
problems than us, and I hope that one or more are available in open-source.

Web searches so far have me going in the direction of genetic algorithms,
but I haven't yet turned up any working programs. The search continues, but
if anyone can suggest resources I'd be grateful.

By the way, there is one Windoze program that I've found so far, but it's
too limited for our needs. All the others I've located so far are too
expensive -- our supervising board is technologically challenged and
unwilling to spend much.
--
Roger