Date:      Tue, 03 Jun 1997 21:43:52 -0600
From:      Joshua Fielden <shag@concentric.net>
To:        StevenR362@aol.com
Cc:        root@totum.plaut.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS P/I-P55TP4N BIOS-Password lost...

StevenR362@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-06-03 19:31:46 EDT, root@totum.plaut.de (Michael
> Reifenberger) writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >  after deleting the User-password of a P/I-P55TP4N MB in the BIOS
> >  and forgetting the existing Superuser-Password I have a problem.
> >  No passwords->no boot->no BSD :-(
> >
> >  The Handbook states to shorten jumper 13 for a while but I tried this
> >  with no success. Somewhere else it states that one should send the Board
> > the
> >  reseller but he is not available anymore...
> >
> >  Is there a chance to set the NVRAM to the Factory-default = no passwords?
> >
> >  The Board is a:
> >  Mainboard P/I-P55TP4N
> >  Award Modular BIOS v.4.50PG (#401A0-0155) (ROM PCI/ISA BIOS (PI-5XTP4))
> >   (S/N: 034336222)
> >
> >  The NVRAM is a DALLAS chip.
> >
> >  Thanks.
>   I don't know about an Award BIOS but most of the AMI BIOS's would reset
> to factory default if you continuously hold down the insert key while
> powering
> the computer up.  You might want to spend some time holding various keys
> down while powering up.  It should take you less than 101 tries ;)
> Unless of course it's a multi key combination.  Then you're SOL.
>
> STeve
What's the point of a password if you can disable the BIOS with a
key-combo? <SARCASM> Yeah, Intel architechture. :-/ </SARCASM>
On my mainboard <Shuttle HOT-541> there is a seperate jumper to short
password than for shorting BIOS. I would suggest hitting
http://sysdoc.pair.com/mainboard.html and check your M/B settings from
off of that page....

JF