Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:48:01 -0600
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to test health of dhcp server on FreeBSD 3.4?

We're attempting to run our dhcp services on FreeBSD 3.4 with two servers,
one a primary and the other a backup in case the primary goes down.  I've
looked through the archives and see that there are two approaches for fault
tolerance:

1.  Split addresses between two active servers
2.  Have one primary and a secondary monitoring the first (my approach)

The people I work for want to go with the second option.  Option #2
requires the secondary to test whether the first is up and I understand
that just pinging the first is not enough.  I've seen that you can use the
ISC dhclient to test whether it can get an address from the first.  I've
looked through the man page and the archives and haven't been able to
figure how to do this without binding the dynamic address to the second
server.  Any pointers on where I can find this information?  Any
suggestions?  Any general pointers on how to properly monitor the primary
active server and copy conf and leases?  It was suggested that I schedule
regular copying of these files using "scp" for added security.

If I'm going about this the wrong way, what is the best way for a backup
dhcp server to test whether the primary is still leasing out addresses?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Oscar
oscars@mail.utexas.edu