Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 22:22:01 -0400
From:      jgr6969@ultb.isc.rit.edu (J.G. Rodriguez)
To:        bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Help with Install Problems

Hello.  I've been trying to install FreeBSD Release 2.0 but I keep getting
a disk read error on my installation floppies.  I can't get through the
readme file (option 2 on the menu) without getting a  "Error reading file
in dialog_textbox()" error.  I also get an error when it tries to unzip
the system file during the install.  It does run through the entire install
procedure though only to fail when booting from the hard drive giving me
a message about not having an init.

I did take my disks in to work and they installed fine on my machine at
work.

Here's the specifics.  I have a Gateway 2000 486DX-33V vesa LB machine with
8 meg of ram and a 212mb primary hard drive and 540mb secondary hard drive.
It has both 3.5 and 5.25 floppies.  It is also equiped with a creative labs
CD-ROM drive and a Media-Vision ProAudio spectrum card.  The Video card is
and ATI Graphics Ultra Pro VLB.  I've tried installing off of both the 3.5
and the 5.25 floppies with essentially the same results.

Here's one of the errors I received when trying to browse the readme file:

fd1: recal failed ST0 80<invld> cyl -1

fd1c: hard error reading fsbn 2392 of 2392-2399
(ST0 41<abnrml> ST1 1<no_am>
 ST2 0 cyl 66 hd 0 sec 17

Error reading file in dialog_textbox()

The error I get during install gets overwritten by the shadowbox, but it
looks like:  cyl 64 hd 0 sec 1

As for the machime at work, it's an HP Vectra 66/XM.  16Meg ram and 430mb
of hard drive.

I'm not sure what else to try here, I've tried different floppies on both
drives to no avail.  I was considering the CD-ROM, but I see the Creative
Labs CD-ROM drive is not supported.  I don't know how that would affect
the installation.

Any info you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Joe