Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:46:20 -0600
From:      "Craig Boston" <craig@meoqu.gank.org>
To:        <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        "Barry Pederson" <barryp@yahoo.com>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Persistant config data for ports?

> stan wrote:
> > I've started using cvsup, and portupgrade to update my installed ports
on
> > several machines on a regular bassis.
-- snip --
> > same questiosn every time. In addition there are several ports that have
> > otional installation features that are turned on by port build time
flags
> > passed to make. Yhes get built the default way, rahter than the way they
> > were before the upgrade. This also seems like a place where this
persistant
> > data store would be useful.
>
> I agree..I was just updating PHP yesterday, and was thinking the same
thing -
> sure would be nice if it would just build it the same way it was built
> previously (such as selecting IMAP, OpenLDAP, etc).

Well, for the ports that take make variables, you can edit
/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf and specify the ones you want to set.  For
example, here is an excerpt from mine:

  MAKE_ARGS = {
        'net/cvsup*' => 'WITHOUT_X11=yes',
        'net/samba*' => 'WITHOUT_CUPS=yes',
        'net/ethereal' => 'WITHOUT_SNMP=yes',
        'databases/postgresql7' => 'WITHOUT_SERVER=yes',
  }

and if you have some that you really need to do manually (if you have your
own custom patches to apply for example), you can tell portupgrade to not
touch them and let you take care of them:

  HOLD_PKGS = [
    'bsdpan-*',
    'editors/staroffice60',
    'security/krb5',
    'security/pam_krb5',
    'emulators/linux*',
    'net/vnc',
  ]

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for the ones such as postfix or ghostscript
that have the "user-friendly" menu of options which the thread was about.
You can use BATCH=yes to keep the menu from coming up, but then it assumes a
default set of options which there is often no way to override.  It would be
nice (and probably not too hard to change) if these could be set using make
variables for batch builds...

Craig