Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:29:33 +0200
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Michael Sperber <sperber@deinprogramm.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to predict drive number change for 7.3->8.1 upgrade?

Am 16.09.2010 um 11:05 schrieb Michael Sperber:

> I just upgraded my desktop system from 7.3 to 8.1, and the main hard
> drive, which was /dev/ad6 before is now /dev/ad10.  Consequently, the
> initial boot failed when trying to mount the root file system from =
ad6.
>=20
> The desktop system is now fixed, but I also have a rented server with
> only a serial console, and I worry that the upgrade is going to leave =
me
> with a dead machine.  Is there any way to predict how the drive number
> changes?  (Why does it change at all?)  If so, what's the proper way =
> tell the system the initial root device *before* rebooting?

If you have a serial console, you can always enter the root device at =
the prompt, so you can recover there.

If you can figure out the new device name, you can simply change the =
fstab entry for /; that's where loader picks up the root device that it =
hands to the kernel.

Long-term, the best option is to label your filesystems or partitions, =
and use the label entries in fstab instead of the device names.  I don't =
remember what 7.3 offers in terms of labels, but glabel should be =
available.  Check tunefs if it offers the -L volname option, that's even =
better.

Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811