Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:57:55 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        CQ CQ de Jason <jason@FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use a logical partition

Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Oct 1996, CQ CQ de Jason wrote:
>
> > My HD is currently partitioned as the following:
> > sd0s1	DOS (primary) install Chinese version of Win95
> > sd0s2	DOS (primary) install English version of Win95
> > sd0s3	FreeBSD (primary)
> > sd0s4	Extended
> > sd0s5	DOS D:\
> > sd0s6	DOS E:\
> > sd0s7	*FreeBSD* (created by Linux fdisk)
> >
> > the problem here is I don't know how to use this sd0s7 under my FreeBSD.
>
> You don't.  You must install FreeBSD to it's own slice.

Heh? Why not?

> sd0s7 would be the, oh, fourth logical disk in a DOS extended partition.

or the third? sd0s4 is the extended partition and s5, s6, s7 are logical
partitions contained therein, I think.

> Looks like you're out of room...:(  New disk perhaps?

You don't just do this?

	cd /dev
	./MAKEDEV sd0s7h

to get the device files made, then proceed as usual (disklabel, etc) -
assuming that the sd0s3 mentioned above is the boot partition and sd0s7
is just an extra FreeBSD "disk".

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org