Date:      Wed, 20 May 2020 10:50:09 -0500
From:      Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Subject:   Re: OT: Weird Hardware Problem

On 5/19/20 8:46 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I was recently given a Dell Inspiron 3847 which has an i7-4790 and 16G
> of memory.  Perfect for multibooting BSD and Linux.  It needed a new power
> supply but now that this is installed, it's exhibiting a very strange
> problem.
>
> The machine will work for hours flawless and then - for no apparent reason -
> reboot randomly.  The former owner reports that this was also happening
> when they last had it running Win8.
All signs point to an inadequate power supply.

When I initially got the machine, I had to replace the onboard
supply because the fan bearings on it were bad and loud.  The former
owner reported that the machine had - in fact - been experiencing
random reboots of late.

I replaced the old supply with a "good" used  500W ATX supply and
the reboot problem was still noted as above.

This morning, I pulled the used supply and put the only new PS I have
in stock - at 350W ATX unit - and tried to recreate the problem I'd
been able to force consistently before during Linux install.  Voila!
It worked.

Now I need to monitor this thing for the next day or so to ensure that
the problem is - indeed gone.

Interesting that a new 350W supply does the trick when an apparently working
500W didn't.  As someone pointed out, this could well be old electrolytics
not holding the rail voltage well under stress.

Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com