Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 10:14:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Anil John <ajohn@cyberforge.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup upgrade procedure question.....

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Anil John wrote:

> A LOT of sources seem to be coming down which I will not necessarily
> use (especially the sources for games).  What I am primarily
> intersted in is upgrading from 2.1.5 to the latest 2.1.6.x and would
> like to have the kernel sources so that I can compile in support for
> my ATAPI CD-ROM.

> I would also like the latest version of apache, perl,tcsh, g++, gdb
> and SAMBA for 2.1.6 installed (All of these are currently installed
> and running on my machine).  In addition I am running ppp with IP
> Masquerade which I would like to keep around.

You're doing this the hard way.  You're running towards doing a 'make
world' which I don't think you want to do.

Instead, save your copy of ppp somewhere safe, make and boot the 2.1.6
boot floppy, and perform the 'upgrade' procedure.  See below for my
upgrade checklist.

After the upgrade, you may install the perl5, tcsh, and samba ports if you
want to upgrade them.  If you renamed perl5 to perl, you may need to move
perl4 out of the way again.  And then reinstall your ppp and you should be
off and running.

> One thing I noticed is that the directory structure that came down
> via cvsup seems to be different than what I have on my machine. For
> example the cvsup had /src/gnu/....  while I have /src/sys/gnu/...
> Did the structure change between 2.1.5 and 2.1.6? If so, how does
> this affect the uprade?

You either set the target directory wrong, or you're pulling the entire
source tree.

> Also will my /etc directory be trashed when I upgrade?

Yes.  See below.

FreeBSD Upgrade Checklist:

1)  BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /ETC.  IT __WILL__ BE MODIFIED!!!

2)  Boot the new floppy.  Select the 'update' option.  Follow the prompts.
Make sure you MOUNT your filesystems and not NEWFS them.  Select the same
distributions you did originally and any you wish to add.

3)  Hit 'commit'.  Take note of the modified files.

4)  WHen you're dumped to a shell prompt:

	.  Copy services back from your backup /etc.  It's three lines
 	   long now :(

	.  Edit sysconfig and re-config from scratch using your old one as
	   a guide.

	.  Migrate any changes you made to rc.local and other files noted
           during the upgrade process.

5)  Reboot, recompile & reinstall your kernel, reboot again, and enjoy.

Hope this helps.