Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 10:43:41 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: select: protocol failure in circuit setup

On Wed, 27 May 1998 at 10:34:38 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
>> Anybody seen this message?
>>
>> select: protocol failure in circuit setup
>>
>> Since the last build (about 2 days ago), it happens when I do a
>>
>> $ rsh localhost echo foo
>
> If you telnet to localhost, are you getting the "realloc" message from
> inetd?  This screws up a lot of protocols because it spills into the
> stream (eg. POP).

That's the one.  It's also the reason why a lot of my mail has been
bouncing recently.

I'm not running ipfw, but I have noticed a number of problems in the
last few days.  Apart from installing the newest version of -CURRENT
about 3 days ago, I also mounted /tmp and /var/tmp as mfs file
systems.  This morning I came in and the system was just able to croak
"/kernel: out of swap" before it haung up completely.  This machine
has 250 MB swap, and I seldom use more than 100 MB.  I also don't use
much /tmp or /var/tmp.  Any ideas?

Greg