Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2014 08:25:18 -0500
From:      Alex Stangl <alex@stangl.us>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [BRAINSTORMING] simplifying maintainer's life

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 10:25:39AM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Evolutions:
> 1/ stop prepending directories in plist with @dir*: let pkg discover the path
> correspond to a directory and handle it as such (easy)
>
> 2/ make pkg automatically remove directories under PREFIX without the need of
> adding them in plist, such as only empty directories and directories not under
> PREFIX will have to be listed. Of course pkg will not try to remove directories
> owned by another package.

Hi,

Seems to me that with staging in place, plist could become a
behind-the-scenes implementation detail, generated automatically during
the port build, at least in most cases. Upon pkg deletion, leaving
behind files/directories that were not part of the "install" seems
reasonable. Maybe there could be some way to notify the user to examine
these and manually clean them up, if appropriate.

Sometime the pkg delete might be followed immediately by a re-install,
in which case the user may have wanted to keep those files around
anyhow. Installation packages on Windows work this way, typically only
removing files that were put in place at install time, and leaving the
user to cleanup any residual files.

Alex