Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:32:18 +0100
From:      Ramiro Aceves <ea1abz@wanadoo.es>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd vs. linux

Erik Norgaard wrote:
> Ramiro Aceves wrote:
>
>> I although have observed that in this list, some of you hate Linux.
>> I have never seen insults to FreeBSD in the Debian e-mail lists. They
>> some times talk about some experiences about FreeBSD, but never say
>> things like " such crap FreeBSD ......" as I have heard here many times.
>

> I have a friend who refused to touch BSD because "BSD sucks". In any way
> FreeBSD didn't behave as Mandrake, it was because "BSD sucks". Why isn't
> it bash? why isn't it vim?, etc. And you have the endless posts, "BSD is
> dead", you have the endless flames on which licence is superior. etc.

Ok, I agree, I also hate the Mandrake distro. I installed it once I
uninstalled it inmediately when I read something like " this wizard will
allow you configure it without using the diabolical command shell"

> Within the Linux community you will find people who will respond to any
> problem, "just use <this distro>, I use it, and it solves exactly your
> problem on <that distro>". I can't count how many times I have heard,
> "Mandrake is the RedHat that works", "use Debian, then you don't have to
> worry about dependencies", or "use RedHat, you want business, right?",
> "yeah, I tried <that distro> too it sucks" ... etc.

Yes, you are right, but sometimes that is the best answer. When someone
in a Debian list asks "I want to abandon windows, I  have made an
attempt to install Debian, it says that the installation is finished and
I only can see a crap dark screen with letters and numbers. How can I
install it with the mouse and some point and click?". The right answer
is: "Debian is not for you,  install another distro like Mandrake,
Ubuntu or Knoppix, they will do it automagically for you".  :-)

> I think that regardless of your choice of OS, you will allways find
> passionate people arguing why their OS/distro is better, and most have
> some valid points - but do these points apply to you?

Everybody like me that are not experts, like to see what other more
expert people think. But you are right, the best is buid your own idea
about the OS.

> Obviosly, I use FreeBSD because I think it is the best, why whould I
> choose a product I think is inferior? It really doesn't make sense to
> ask this sort of question unless you clearly define the criterias.

Yes, that is the right answer to the first question on this thread. The
question "FreeBSd vs Linux" should not be asked anymore on
freebsd-questions, this is a list for questions about FreeBSD, not Linux.

Thanks
Ramiro.