Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:17:12 -0700
From:      "George Shapiro" <gshapiro@pps.k12.or.us>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to set up routing & natd with freebsd 3.1

At 09:24 AM 8/31/99 +1200, you wrote:
>On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, George Shapiro wrote:
>
>[...]
>> I have recompiled the kernel with IP divert and fw, and have
>> gateway_enable=yes.
>
>This should be
>
>	gateway_enable=YES
>
>ie in caps.
>
>Jonathan Chen
>                             Who dares nothing, need hope for nothing

Sorry, that was my sloppy typing... I used caps in rc.conf. but thanks...

Here are some more clues...  I am actually just trying to route off a group
of computers on a LAN which has a dedicated gateway (a public high school).
 Since there are only a small number of machines in my (hopefull) subnet, i
am doing static routing... i.e.

#route add -interface 159.191.33.148 vr1

is one machine on the subnet. However, i can't ping this machine nor can
the machine ping the interface connected to the subnet (they are on a hub
together, so i shouldn't even need routing.) What am i doing wrong?