Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 06:55:56 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed makewhatis perl script fix

In message <20010211174531.A9773@snark.ptc.spbu.ru>, "Valeriy E.
Ushakov" write
s:

> > > Were you using ssh to login on to the computers when you were
> > > doing the package/port work? That seems to be the common thread
> > > from my end. At least, the broken pipes didn't start occuring
> > > until the version of Openssh was updated. If I telnet and do my
> > > work no problem; however, if I use ssh, then I see broken pipes.
> >
> > Could it be some interaction between -STABLE and OpenSSH 2.3.0?  I
> > installed OpenSSH 2.3.0 on some 4.2-RELEASE systems, including the
> > src/secure bits, and have had no broken pipes problems when using ssh.
>
> Well, in Russian BSD newsgroup I see complaints that even
>
>     $ program | more	# and press `q' while program is still running
>
> giving the same error.
>
> OTOH, I have -STABLE as of Feb 3 (i.e. with openssh 2.3.0) on my home
> box and I do *not* see this problem when I slogin to it from office.

Based upon what I've seen on this list and my own empirical evidence, I
think it must be combination of conditions, e.g. -STABLE as of <date>
and OpenSSH 2.3.0.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC