Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:46:46 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new license idea?

At 10:54 AM 9/19/2000, j mckitrick wrote:

>What about the fragmentation issue?
>Someone takes my code, reuses it, keeps the changes, and has created a new,
>incompatible version?

Fragmentation can and does occur regardless of licensing. XEmacs is a good
example. However, fragmentation/forking does not mean that standards will
not be followed or that compatibility will not be maintained.

At the February LinuxWorld, Linus Torvalds said that he actually thought that
a bit of fragmentation -- in the form of specialization -- would be good for
Linux. Ironically, this is exactly what has happened with the BSDs, and we
now have five and a half very good OSes. (I count PicoBSD as a half, because
it is small and derived from the FreeBSD source tree.)

Fragmentation/forking can be as much a sign of creativity and progress as
a problem. It is only problematic when it is used by a large company
(e.g. Microsoft) as a bludgeon. Or when it breaks compatibility and
there's not appropriate backward compatibility.

--Brett