Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:50:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Matt Behrens <matt@megaweapon.zigg.com>, imap-uw@freebsd.ady.ro, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: imap-uw security hole -- please update port

> Hey, I won't worry if Matt doesn't. :)  If we don't install
> the imap tools does that satisfy your requirements Matt or
> are you expecting them to be installed as part of pine4?
> If so, would a *_DEPENDS on the imap-uw port work?  Of
> course its build/install would have to be conditionalized
> appropriately first of course.

You absolutely do NOT want to make the pine port depend on the imap-uw
port; nor do you want it to automatically install the IMAP and POP
servers that are packaged with it.  Either choice would severely tick
off those of us who use any other IMAP/POP server package. (Also,
remember, the pine client may be built and installed on machines that
will never run a local IMAP or POP daemon.)

Personally, I prefer the Cyrus IMAP server.  Among other things, once
it has bound to the privileged IMAP port, it gives up root permission.
Aall deliveries are also run as a specific unprivileged user.  This
drasticly reduces the severity of any potential security holes.

-Pat