Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2013 17:13:52 +0100
From:      Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding a TrueType font

## Matthias Apitz (guru@unixarea.de):

> but I can't use is, for example with xterm, it says:
>
> $ xterm -fn 'Druckschrift BY WOK'
> xterm: cannot load font Druckschrift BY WOK

xterm uses -fa for fontconfig (that includes TrueType) fonts, -fn
is for "classical" X fonts. See this example:
: cmt@squirrel:/usr/ports$ xterm -fa "Droid Serif"
-> gives xterm with a somewhat ugly font (I might have to tweak other
settings, too)
: cmt@squirrel:/usr/ports$ xterm -fn "Droid Serif"
: xterm: cannot load font 'Droid Serif'
: xterm: cannot load font 'Droid Serif'
-> xterm starts with the default font ("fixed").

> and even more magic: I can set it in 'kedit' via preferences, but when I
> launch it from cmd line it says:

The same might apply here (I don't have KDE availabe).

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space