Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 05:10:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/24021: New port: textproc/p5-Sort-PolySort (General rules-based sorting of lists)

The following reply was made to PR ports/24021; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc: will@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 14:08:12 +0100

 On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 04:25:11AM -0800, will@FreeBSD.org wrote:

 > This one seems to be perl 5.6.0 (or -CURRENT)-only.  Regardless, I get the
 > very same:
 >
 > ===>  Configuring for p5-Sort-PolySort-0.12
 > Checking if your kit is complete...
 > Warning: the following files are missing in your kit:
 >         README
 > Please inform the author.
 > Could not eval '
 >             package ExtUtils::MakeMaker::_version;
 >             no strict;
 >
 >             local $Sort::PolySort::VERSION;
 >             $Sort::PolySort::VERSION=undef; do {
 >                 $Sort::PolySort::VERSION =
 >             }; $Sort::PolySort::VERSION
 >         ' in lib/Sort/PolySort.pm: syntax error at (eval 9) line 8, at EOF
 > Writing Makefile for Sort::PolySort
 >
 > on both 4.2-STABLE and 5.0-CURRENT.  Yet it errors out on 4.2-STABLE but not
 > on 5.0-CURRENT.  So it's probably silent.  Can you confirm if this is another
 > Perl 5.6/-CURRENT-only module?  I need to mark it broken on <5.0 if yes.

 Uhh.  As for 5.0/5.6.0, see the >Environment section of the original PR:

     When perl Makefile.PL is run it reports a syntax error.  This is
     *not* a problem, and ervything runs fine after that.  The cause of
     the message is the inherent dumbness of ExtUtils::MakeMaker.  Please
     disregard it.

 As for 4.2/5.005_03, it looks like ExtUtils::MakeMaker is even more dumb
 in older Perls.  :-(

 The fix is a trivial application of `J' in vi - the original code has

 $VERSION =
         something;

 To silence MakeMaker, it must be

 $VERSION = something;

 on one line.  I'll send a corrected version tonight.

 Cheers,
 *Anton.
 --
 May the tuna salad be with you.