Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 06:42:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      just matt <matt@dqc.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Charles Henrich <henrich@sigbus.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Video Capture

Don't believe the hype about the ati boards having MPEG/MJPEG hardware
compression.  As far as I've seen, they don't have what they advertise.  I
purchased an ATI TV-Wonder a few months ago because it advertised hardware
realtime 30fps vcd compatible mpeg compression, all done exclusively in
hardware, which I confirmed by e-mailing their tech support people to make
sure it was true.  Turns out it's a huge lie, the "realtime" mpeg
compression is all done in software, with generally crappy results when
you compare the mpeg's it produces to those of a real hardware encoder.
You need a pII-300 or better just to start playing with it, which made me
pretty angry.

And no, there aren't any chips on the card to indicate that it will
support hardware mpeg capture in the future.  In fact, the card is almost
exactly like my hauppauge, and composite video in worked with fxtv right
out of the box.  I imagine it would be fairly trivial to add support for
this bt848 based frame grabber.

As far as the ATI All-In-Wonders go (which is what the GATOS project is
all about if I remember right), I have a friend who has one of those, and
there isn't any magic hardware compression on that card either.  Instead,
ATI provides software that allows people to record video in their own ATI
VCR codec or something silly like that.  It's proprietary, but I guess
it's supposed to compress video better than the traditional .avi format
(and I'm not talking mpeg-4 based .avi's) that has been traditionally used
with framegrabber software.

Hmm, well, that's my rant against ATI.  If you want a real mpeg capture
board, they will run you at least $400 or so.  I ended up getting a low
end mpeg capture board and just piecing together an older pc for windows
<shudder> as the board isn't supported under bsd.  Such is life...

	- Matt