Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:05:32 +0200
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: splitting courier-authlib into master+slave ports

El Domingo, 24 de Abril de 2005 15:18, Oliver Lehmann escribi=F3:
> Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > Also, I think an UPDATING entry must be done pointing that ports
> > that depends on this, must need BUILD_DEPENDS on
> > courier-authlib-base and RUN_DEPENDS on courier-authlib-pam to be
> > able of reading system passwd.
>
> I still don't see the point why we must force pam or pwd.db support
> to install? Why not left the choise to the user what "plugin" to
> install? A user who uses MySQL don't need PAM or pwd.db support same
> for me, I use vpopmail's user db.

Well, I try this slowly

three system auth modules come with courier-authlib

libauthpwd -> for systems with old system 7 passwd, with real readable=20
passwords in /etc/passwd (very old systems, not FreeBSD)

libauthshadow -> for systems with system V shadow passwords, but without=20
a pam lib (ej: Slackware linux).

libauthpam -> for systems with a pam library (FreeBSD).

And just one of this must be implemented. I think we only need=20
libauthpam, allthough libauthpwd may build and install (but it isn't=20
able to authtenticate).

without this, you can't authenticate or locate system accounts.  this is=20
a fact.

Now, take out your 'courier-authlib point of view' and take this from a=20
'courier-imap point of view'

If you RUN_DEPENDS on courier-authlib-base instead of=20
courier-authlib-pam, you will end with a default courier-imap install=20
that isn't able to read system accounts.  I don't think this is=20
acceptable.

This is why I point to make courier-authlib-base with authpam, in the=20
sense you can get from the actual pkg-descr.

This is not any set of auth modules, just the one base module needed to=20
read system accounts.  And if you fill this dangerous or not needed,=20
you can easy tweak authdaemonrc to not load the authpam module.

I think that it easy expect a pro user implementing a virtual mail=20
system have the resources to edit authdaemonrc that a home user trying=20
to install courier-imap can locale the real need of installing=20
courier-authlib-pam to get his system accounts working.

=2D-
  josemi