Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2018 00:22:03 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        miltonott <miltonott@fastmail.com>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-12.0-RC3-i386-disc1.iso does not boot

miltonott wrote:
>>On Sat Dec 1 21:51:05 UTC 2018 CenturyLink Customer wrote:
>>> Hello all:Sorry, this old Pentium  4 refurbished test machine has been =
obstinate
>>> during ALPHA, BETA, and now RC.I had a workaround using the BTX bootloa=
der  from
>>> ALPHA8 and pasted it into BETA3; meanwhile,remastering the .iso disk  a=
fterwards.
I have booted a FreeBSD-12.0-RC2-i386-bootonly.iso disk on a Pentium 4
without difficulty. For RC2, the "..disc1.iso" looked too big for a 700Mbyt=
e CD.
(I haven't tried RC3, but I doubt there is much difference?)

>> miltonott wrote:
>>  My lord, I send greetings. I have a mind to try FreeBSD-12.0-RC3-i386-d=
isc1.iso,
>> and willingness to report back my  experience.  The  get-at-able  hardwa=
re  gives:
>> 686 class Pentium 4 (socket 775), 686 class Celeron (socket 370).
>
>  My guvnor, I have zero writable cd media at this time.  I  grabbed  the =
 dvd  iso:
>FreeBSD-12.0-RC3-i386-dvd1.iso. I can say the boot run its course and  ser=
ved  up  a
>login prompt with considerable aplomb. The contents of  /var/run/dmesg.boo=
t  can  >be
>viewed at ` http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=3Dview&id=3D4625 `.

rick
ps: For Release candidates, it is probably better to post to freebsd-curren=
t@.