Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 14:34:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kender <kender@backpacker.laroche.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   memory allocation question

Hi,

I have a pentium 166, 4 GIG hd, 96megs of RAM, running FreeBSD 2.2.5,
recently upgraded.

I have two MOOs running on the system, which is almost exclusively devoted
to them.  When I start up the smaller (about 4 megs) of the two MOOs under
my account,
called kender, all is fine. The other MOO is larger (around 8megs
database), but when I try starting it up with the other running, I get a
panic of the moo's server from memory allocation.  If I start it up under
root's perms, all is
fine.  This has also happened on a box that is similar, after the
login.conf was installed..

We have determined that the problem may be with the new login.conf.  My
'kender' account may be running out of allocated memory.  One of my
assistants tried adding a portion to the login.conf file named kender, but
it didn't seem to help.  We would like to give kender infinite memory.
Could you help me with how we would go about setting that up?  I wonder if
we just didn't miss a step/setting.

tia,
Bonnie Coluccio
System Administrator